How can we help? 419-774-4200   //   24 Hr. Emergency #: 419-774-4244
MUI After Hours #: 419-544-1775


Health and Safety

The health and safety of the children and adults we support is our utmost concern. Our Major Unusual Incident (MUI) Unit investigates any alleged, suspected, or actual incident that adversely affects the health, safety, or welfare of Richland County residents with developmental disabilities. This may include allegations of:

      • abuse
      • neglect
      • misappropriation
      • exploitation
      • death
      • unplanned hospitalization
      • medical emergencies 

MUIs are reported electronically to the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities and investigative procedures are followed by MUI staff. Any alleged incident of criminal nature is cooperatively investigated with law enforcement and other agencies. MUIs can be reported to the Richland County Board of Developmental Disabilities by:

      • staff
      • individuals with disabilities
      • families
      • providers
      • general public

All major unusual incidents result in the individual's team developing a plan of prevention. For more information, or to report an MUI, contact,, or call 419-774-4201.  You can also contact us via our 24 hour emergency hotline at 419-774-4244.

Health and Welfare

The Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) will issue alerts and provide important safety tips about things that can pose a risk to an individual's health and welfare. These alerts often deal with things like choking, prevention of falls, and transition planning.  



Free Choice of Provider

Provider pick richland newhope mansfield ohio

Individual consultants (IC) in our Service and Support Administration( (SSA) play an important role in the lives of individuals with disabilities in Richland County.

They help connect the individual to services and supports that person might need. However, ICs don't choose or assign a provider. Individuals and their family must have free choice of power.

The role of the IC is to help identify what may be important to that individual and then coordinate interviews or facilitate contacts that will help a person decide which provider will best meet his or her needs. 

Provider Selection 

If an individual is looking to find a service/support provider, we are here to help! The first thing an individual must do is talk to the individual consultant (IC) and/or team members about what is wanted or needed.  ICs will assist the individual to identify voluntary and/or paid supports.  At this point, the individual can either search independently for a provider on the main Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) website, or get assistance from the IC to download a master list of provider options.  The DODD search tool can help narrow down the provider selection pool and finalize a list of names and contact information of certified providers.

The IC will also complete a “Request for Provider” (RFP).  This is part of the Free Choice of Provider process, whereby the request for services/supports is posted on our “Provider List-Serve” (email list for all providers certified in Richland County).  After reading the email request, the provider can choose to contact the county board staff listed on the request expressing interest, and the individual will decide whether to set up additional calls or interviews. 

Find a Provider

Resolving Complaints and Due Process

The Richland County Board of Developmental Disabilities/Richland Newhope is committed to helping individuals find supports that are the right fit. If you have concerns about your services, don't hesitate to speak to your individual consultant (IC). They may be able to help solve your problem or concern immediately.

If you aren't sure who to talk to, please contact us at 419-774-4201 or via email.

If you have been denied services, you have the right to appeal.

Click below for additional information:

Individual Rights

Everyone is afforded certain rights under the law that guarantee certain personal freedoms. Your freedoms include the right to

  • Be treated nicely at all times and as a person
  • Have a clean safe place to live in and a place to be alone
  • Have food that is good for you
  • Be able to go, if you want, to any church, temple, mosque
  • Be able to go to a doctor or dentist when you are sick
  • Be able to have people help you with the way you walk, talk, do things with your hands, act or feel, if you need it
  • Be able to have people help and teach you, if you want
  • Be able to have time and a place to go to be by yourself
  • Be able to call, write letters or talk to anyone you want about anything you want
  • Be able to have your own things and be able to use them
  • Be able to have men and women as friends
  • Be able to join in activities and do things that will help you grow to be the best person you can be
  • Be able to work and make money
  • Be treated like everyone else
  • Not be hit, yelled at, cursed at, or called names that hurt you
  • Be able to learn new things, make friends, have activities to do, and go out in your community
  • Be able to tell people what you want and be part of making plans or decisions about your life
  • Be able to ask someone you want to help you, let others know how you feel or what you want
  • Be able to use your money to pay for things you need and want with help, if you need it
  • Be able to say yes or no before people talk about what you do at work or home or look at your file
  • Be able to complain or ask for changes if you don’t like something without being afraid of getting in trouble
  • Not be given medicine that you don’t need, or be held down if you are not hurting yourself or others
  • To vote and learn about laws and your community
  • To say yes or no to being part of a study or experiment

If you have any questions or you need help asserting your rights, contact your individual consultant. 

See Your Rights in Pictures