How can we help? 419-774-4200   //   24 Hr. Emergency #: 419-774-4244
MUI After Hours #: 419-544-1775

Services for Children

Many programs are available to get your child on the path to achieving. Read through your available resources or quickly jump to what you're looking for by clicking  below:

Early Intervention Program

The time between birth and 36 months is a critical period in a child’s life.  If you are concerned about the development of your child, our early intervention program can help to minimize or possibly even prevent delays.

Our early intervention (EI) team has a vast level of expertise to support children and their families in our community.  Our EI team consists of service coordinators, developmental specialists, occupational, physical, and speech therapists.  We partner with parents and other caregivers to support children as they learn and grow.  Supports are provided in a family’s most familiar setting or what is called natural environment. 

Please remember your child’s success depends upon family involvement.  The earlier a family has its concerns addressed the better the outcome for the child.  So, if you need support, you may get started by calling Central Coordination at (419) 524-2660.

For more information about Richland Newhope’s early intervention program, contact Julie Litt, Director of Education & Therapy Services, at (419) 774-4285 or

Check out this video to shed some light on how early intervention works.


Tell Me More

Exercising with Miss Shirl

Occupational Therapy (OT) with Miss Susan


Child Services Eligibility Richland NewhopeReferrals can be made by individuals, families, community members, and other agencies.  

If your child is age 0 to 2 and you have concerns about his or her development, your first step is to contact Help Me Grow at 1-800-755-GROW.   Central Coordination will assist you in a referral for an Early Intervention service coordinator.  The service coordinator will meet with the family to discuss the Early Intervention program and assist with scheduling an evaluation to determine eligibility.

Eligibility for children ages 3 through 5 is determined through a play-based assessment process.

Individuals 6 to 15 years of age are eligible for our services if they have a documented history of a life-long developmental disability and significant functional limitations in at least three areas, such as mobility and learning.  Once a qualifying condition is determined, an eligibility determination will be made by using The Children’s Ohio Eligibility Determination Instrument (COEDI).  For children age 16 and up, the Ohio Eligibility Determination Instrument (OEDI) is used to determine eligibility for county board services.  Referrals to Richland Newhope can be made by contacting Deb Marth at or 419-774-4456

Service Coordination

When your child turns 3 years old, your local school district begins to administer services for him or her. However, did you know that the Richland County Board of Developmental Disabilities can still be available to offer school-age supports to you and your child?

Eligible individuals and their families can select an individual consultant (IC) from our Service and Support Administration (SSA) to help you navigate your child’s individual education plan, or IEP. We can also help connect you with community resources. Periodic reviews will be conducted to assure you are satisfied with supports/services in accordance with your child’s plan. 

Are You Eligible?

school age supports richland newhopeSchool-Age Supports

Individual consultants help write a person-centered plan, coordinate services, and link you and your family to resources in the community.  They are available to attend IEP meetings, collaborate regarding your child’s transition planning for post-graduation needs, and make referrals to parent advocates.  Let us be there to help guide you and your child throughout their school-age years.

Transition to Adult Services 

We have specially-trained individual consultants (ICs) to help teenagers and young adults with the transition process from school to adulthood and the world of work.  These ICs have acquired specific skills and knowledge to help you find the resources you will need to be as successful as possible by giving you and your team tools to become self-sufficient, both economically and socially.  We can help students identify what they might like to do by linking them to various work programs, such as Project SEARCH and summer work experiences.

We are also proud to partner with Catalyst Life Services, Richland County Mental Health and Recovery Services, and The Ohio State University-Mansfield to offer Richland Aspirations.  This is an eight-week program designed for teens (13-17) and young adults (18-25) with Autism Spectrum Disorders to develop their social and vocational skills, increase independence, and develop friendships.  For more information about Richland Aspirations, call 419-774-4201, and ask for the Aspirations contact person.


Family Support

Families who have loved ones with disabilities residing at home can receive support services through the Family Support program.  Supports may include respite care, equipment, home modifications, trainings, etc.  These services are provided on a sliding scale based upon the family’s income. 

Residential Services 

Your individual consultant (IC) will work with you to plan respite services and assist you in the event that emergency placement would be needed.  Other residential options can also be explored.  Your IC can help write a plan and monitor those services.


Richland Newhope Therapy Services supports early intervention birth to age 3.  In collaboration with a local medical provider, a two-person therapy team is available and will assess a child ages 18 months to 3 years for Autism, as resources are available.  To inquire about an assessment, please call 419-774-4290.

The Richland Newhope therapy staff is committed to supporting individuals, families, and caregivers in the community to increase each individual’s ability to be independent and part of the community.  Referrals are received through the Service Support Administration Department.